Monday, March 23, 2009

The Social Experiment: Who'se spontaneous?

At the bottom of this post is a social scavenger hunt. (I usually have one good idea per year. I think this is it.) I made this for a few reasons:

First, I really believe that people are bored with themselves. If you don't think so, check this out. Can you imagine you run into somebody gives you their number? At first you might be taken back. But think about it. If people are truly bored, who wouldn't be interested in such an event? It adds so much mystery. Who is that? Should I respond? It's so curious you might just call. That's what I want to find out - to see who actually calls.

Yes, this is a guy scavenger hunt, but if there are any girls reading this (I don't think anyone is) and want to try this, I don't think it will work. This list is designed for guys because its modeled around the whole tradition of the guy hunting the girl. If a girl randomly gave you her number, you'd be shittin all around town. Why? Because it's easier for girls to ask guys out (but they don't). Or rather, the success is significantly higher. I'm not gonna bullshit you, I have no statistical proof. But it makes sense.

Second, you might make a friend or two. Who knows? If you successfully give at least 30 girls (or guys) your number, I hypothesize you'd get 5 responses. When I actually do this, I'll compare by findings.

Even though I feel people are bored with their lives, most people are just too fucking introverted. I hate that when I talk to someone and they are completely unresponsive, like I just ate their cat or some shit. From my "field-testing", around 10% of people will actually "talk" to you, as apposed to people who just answer your questions. That's not anything; that's an interview. It sucks. To be fair, we couldn't have outgoing people if there were no introverts to compare to. Talking on the bus, elevator, class, street, food stand, wherever.

Interesting Find

Most single-serving conversations contain the same boring-ass questions and fillers: (These are taken from my college campus)

"I'm good, how are you?"
"It's nice out."
(after awkward silence)Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. "
"Well, it was nice meeting you."
"Where are you living next year?"
"How's your sorority/fraternity?"
"I'm so tired (I'm hearing this more and more. Maybe mono's goin around). Other renditions are: "I'm tired as fuck." and: "I slept so much yesterday and I'm still tired."
"What did you do this weekend?"
"My balls itch." (just kidding with that last one.)

I mean, that's how most shit goes with strangers. Granted you don't know anything about them. But that's just it, if you're outgoing, wouldn't you like to know more about them to make a potential friend or lover? No? Yes.

The next time you're talking to someone random, check to see if they say those things. Hell, I probably will too.

So, here we go. Check number 4 especially. Can you imagine her face when it was all a joke? Your threatening remark is gone and is a good topic of conversation. Maybe you'll actually get the date? BYAHH.!

DO THE FOLLOWING IN ONE DAY:

1. GIVE AT LEAST 30 GIRLS YOUR NUMBER ON PAPER (LIKE HOW IT USED TO BE)
NUMBER OF GIRLS ____
NUMBER OF RESPONSES (TEXTS OR CALLS) ____

2. HIGH-FIVE AT LEAST 40 PEOPLE
NUMBER OF PEOPLE FIVED _____

3. TAKE A PICTURE WITH AT LEAST 30 PEOPLE
PICTURES _____

4. GET REJECTED BY AT LEAST 15 GIRLS ON PURPOSE

LET EACH GIRL INITIAL BELOW: __________________________________________________________

5. ASK AT LEAST 20 PEOPLE WITH MP3 PLAYERS WHAT THEY’RE LISTENING TO
NUMBER ASKED _____
COMMON SONGS _______________________________________________________________

6. ASK AT LEAST 20 PEOPLE TO HANG OUT SOMETIME (SPONTANEOUS?)
NUMBER OF PEOPLE _____
SAID YES ____
SAID NO ____

No comments:

Post a Comment